Just Say Yes to Fruits & Vegetables Nutrition Educator
30 hours per week between 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
The Just Say Yes to Fruits & Vegetables (JSY) Nutrition Educator is responsible for providing nutrition education through the JSY comprehensive nutrition education and obesity prevention program for low income individuals accessing emergency food programs.
- Degree in Nutrition, Public Health, Health Education or closely related field
- Registered Dietitian (RDN) or Nutrition and Dietetic Technician, Registered (NDTR) preferred
- One year community nutrition, community health or public health experience working with low income populations required
- Must be available Mondays and Tuesdays (July - September)
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Experience Needed to Perform Effectively in this Position:
- Strong written, oral, and computer skills.
- Proven ability to be flexible, work independently and collaboratively with other professionals and the public.
- Possesses an energetic, engaging, and outgoing demeanor with the ability to work in a variety of settings with different populations.
- Experience with facilitated group discussion education and techniques.
- Strong food safety, food preparation, demonstration, and cooking skills with the ability to conduct them to a live audience.
- ServSafe certification will be required.
- Experience working with community food systems, local agriculture, farmers markets, and gardening initiatives.
- Passion for the mission and vision of the organization.
- Commitment to the understanding and connection of public health/nutrition, hunger, short and long term causes.
- Necessary nutrition knowledge to educate Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and SNAP eligible participants with the goal of reducing chronic disease risks by increasing fruit and vegetable consumption, physical activity, and healthy beverages.
- Ability to plan, evaluate, and analyze programs and related data creatively to work efficiently and effectively.
- Values staff development such as increasing knowledge, improving skills or challenging oneself in new areas.
- Valid NYS driver’s license, clean driving record, available to work occasional evenings and weekends, and ability to regularly travel throughout the region and occasionally around the state.
The Just Say Yes to Fruits & Vegetables Nutrition Educator responsibilities will include:
- Conduct six to eight nutrition education workshops per month within our eleven county service area and seasonally transition to leading nutrition educations at the Tuesday Downtown Syracuse Farmers’ Market and some nutrition education workshops at community organizations.
- Maintain accurate records and documentation related to program requirements.
- Work with two to four partner agencies over the course of the year on the policy, systems, and environmental change intervention (focusing on the Healthy Pantry Initiative).
- Assist with program planning, evaluation, reporting, potential revisions and contributions of curriculum, materials, recipes, and social media content.
- Serve as preceptor to volunteers, students, and nutrition assistants during the market season.
- Participate in community events, meetings, trainings, conference calls, and conferences as needed.