Just Say Yes to Fruits & Vegetables Nutrition Assistant
This is a part-time position (May-September); 24 hours per week between 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
The Nutrition Assistant helps with implementing nutrition education workshops through the Just Say Yes to Fruits & Vegetables comprehensive nutrition education and obesity prevention program for low income individuals accessing emergency food programs and at the Downtown Syracuse Farmers’ Market.
- High school diploma or GED required
- Current college student pursuing degree in Nutrition, Public Health, Health Education or closely related field preferred
- Minimum of one year experience working in community nutrition, community health or public health with low income populations preferred
- Assist with farmers’ market activities July through September on Mondays and Tuesdays
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Experience Needed to Perform Effectively in this Position:
- Strong written, oral, and computer skills.
- Proven ability to be flexible, work independently, and collaboratively with other professionals and the public.
- Possesses an energetic, engaging, and outgoing demeanor with the ability to work in a variety of settings with different populations.
- Experience with facilitated group discussion, education, and techniques.
- Food preparation, demonstration, and cooking skills with the ability to conduct them to a live audience.
- Knowledge and ability to follow food safety standards.
- Passion for the mission and vision of the organization and improving the health of the community.
- Valid NYS driver’s license, clean driving record, and ability to travel within our eleven county service area.
Maintain accurate records and documentation related to program requirements.
- Assist with policy, systems, and environmental change interventions in select food pantries.
- Participate in community events, meetings, trainings, conference calls, and conferences as needed.
Conduct four nutrition education workshops/food demonstrations at partner agencies and other community organizations each month.
Assist with nutrition education workshops at the Tuesday Downtown Syracuse Farmers’ Market and workshops at other area community organizations, market tasks include:
Planning for presentations
Setting up, assisting with, and cleaning up demonstrations before/during/after the market
Preparing educational materials, recipe ingredients, and other items
Entering survey data