September is Hunger Action Month
Wednesday, September 1, 2021
Syracuse, NY - September is Hunger Action Month across the United States and right here in Central New York. During this time, we call upon our community to take action on behalf of people in need of food assistance. In the Food Bank’s eleven county service area of central and northern New York, it is estimated that more than 178,000 people are food insecure – meaning that they do not have access to sufficient food to meet their basic needs.
Food Bank of Central New York invites the community to participate by taking action against hunger throughout the month:
- September 6 – 20 - Davidson Ford Food Drive – Stop by Davidson Ford (3690 State Route 31, Liverpool, NY) to help fill the truck. Drop off your non-perishable food donation at the dealership and for each pound of food donated, Davidson Ford will donate $1 to the Food Bank.
- September 11 – Walk For Hunger – Camillus-Solvay-Geddes Rotary is hosting a Walk for Hunger that morning at 10am, beginning at Reed Webster Park in Camillus. A portion of the event proceeds will benefit our work.
- September 16 – Brews & Bites at Talking Cursive Brewing Co. – The second installment of Brews & Bites will take place that evening from 5:30 – 7:30pm. Your $20 donation will get you a pint and voucher for food.
- September 17 – Hunger Action Day – Wear orange, the official color of hunger awareness. Post a selfie to social media, tagging the Food Bank, to help raise awareness of people struggling with hunger while trying to make ends meet.
- September 20 – Independent Potter’s Association Cups For A Cause – Join the virtual Cups For A Cause event on Facebook at 7pm. For each $75 donation made through the Cups For A Cause event site, the donor will be able to select a pair of handcrafted cups as a token of appreciation for supporting the Food Bank.
- September 25 – Food Truck Battle – Head to the Food Truck Battle at the NYS Fairgrounds to enjoy delicious food and drink, music, a kid’s zone, and craft vendors. Tickets are $5 with proceeds benefitting three local charities, including the Food Bank.
- September 30 – Syracuse Mets – Show your support of the Syracuse Mets during the game but make sure to bring your non-perishable food donation to stuff the truck before the first pitch.
“With multiple ways for people to take action against hunger, we invite the community to join us in making a difference in the lives of people struggling with hunger,” said Karen Belcher, Executive Director at Food Bank of Central New York. “Together, we can solve hunger.”
For more information about Hunger Action Month and the work of the Food Bank, please contact Lynn Hy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 315-437-1899 ext. 247.