Hunger Action Month
September is Hunger Action Month across the United States and right here in central and northern New York and the Mohawk Valley.
In our eleven county service area, an estimated 141,320 individuals are facing food insecurity. When difficult times hit, food can be the first thing people forego to make ends meet. People should never be faced with the impossible choice between food and other crucial needs like medicine and utilities.
What is Hunger Action Month?
Hunger Action Month is an annual awareness campaign to inspire action by rallying the public around the issue of hunger in America.
What is Hunger Action Day?
September 15 is Hunger Action Day—a day where collective efforts across the country are focused for greater impact. Wear orange and use #HungerActionDay on social media!
Orange is the color of hunger-relief. During Hunger Action Month, we join together by wearing orange, turning city landmarks orange, and raising our voices all across the country on behalf of the millions of people facing hunger in America.
How will you choose to end hunger?:
- Donate: Each $1.00 donated helps provide three meals for neighbors in need. Make every month Hunger Action Month and become a recurring donor!
- Volunteer: From sorting and packaging food and grocery items in our warehouse to assisting at distributions and community events, our volunteers are crucial to helping us fight hunger.
- Advocate: We work with local, statewide, and national organizations to support legislation addressing hunger and food insecurity. Join us in the fight and become an anti-hunger advocate.
- Community events: We have a full month planned of events supporting our hunger-relief mission. From happy hour to a community food drive with the Syracuse Mets, there's something for everyone!
- Follow us on social media: We'll be highlighting ways to get involved all month long!
For more information about Hunger Action Month and ways you can join the fight against hunger, please contact Heidi Soine, Development Manager, at (315) 437-1899 ext. 250