Food Safety Training
Food Bank of Central New York takes great pride in ensuring the food distributed within our network is not only filling and healthy but also safe. Each Food Bank of Central New York partner agency agrees to observe safe food handling practices in the transportation, storage, handling, and distribution of food when signing the Agreement/Release and Criteria for Food Bank of Central New York Partner Agencies.
Required Food Safety Training for Partner Agencies:
At least one staff member or volunteer who has completed food safety training needs to be on site during food preparation and distribution. This will ensure that proper food safety knowledge and practices are being implemented throughout our network.
Program coordinators will need to determine how many volunteers need to complete the training and keep a record of completed trainings. To help agencies meet these requirements, the Food Bank offers basic food safety training in-person and online.
Below you will find a list of upcoming in-person training sessions. The first hour of training is for both food pantries and meal sites; the second hour is just for meal sites.
Food Safety Training Dates at Food Bank of Central New York:
- Tuesday, February 6, 2018 1:00 - 3:00 pm
- Tuesday, March 6, 2018 1:00 - 3:00 pm
- Tuesday, April 3, 2018 1:00 - 3:00 pm
- Tuesday, May 1, 2018 1:00 - 3:00 pm
- Tuesday, June 5, 2018 1:00 - 3:00 pm
RSVP to a Food Safety training session here.
Basic Food Safety for Food Pantries Training Online:
Food pantries and partner agencies that do not prepare meals may now review and complete the required food safety training online by following these easy steps.
1. Read and review the Basic Food Safety for Food Pantries presentation. Please note: The slides will automatically advance after 30 seconds. You can use the slideshow controller by moving your cursor to the bottom left corner of the screen.
2. Take the "Basic Food Safety for Food Pantries" quiz. You must score 80% or higher to receive a certificate of completion from the Food Bank. Each worker that would like to receive a certificate will need to complete their own quiz.