Farmers' Market Demonstrations
In conjunction with the Just Say Yes to Fruits & Vegetables (JSY) program, Food Bank of Central New York also participates in the urban farmers' market program every summer at the Syracuse Downtown Farmers' Market. This initiative promotes the benefits of a diet rich in fruits and vegetables at farmers’ markets in targeted low income communities across central and northern New York.
Our JSY educators prepare healthy recipes using fresh, local produce from the market every Tuesday at the Downtown Farmers' Market starting July 5th and running through September 27th. Workshops start at 10:00 am and run through 1:00 pm covering topics including:
- Shopping the farmers' market to stretch your food dollars
- Fruits and vegetables for fiber
- Eating a rainbow for good health
- Meal planning tips
- Extending the Harvest: storing and preserving fruits and vegetables
- Recipes that feature seasonal fruit and vegetables currently available at the market
Each attendee receives a recipe sample, a free gift, and $4.00 in farmers' market coupons to be used toward purchasing fresh locally grown produce at the market.
For questions or more information, please contact Beth Seeley, Community Nutrition Educator, at (315) 437-1899 ext. 222.