Why We Are Here
Inspire and strengthen our communities to work together to increase food security.
Work to eliminate hunger through nutritious food distribution, education, and advocacy in cooperation with the community.
Hunger is a very serious problem in the United States today. Despite its great wealth, an estimated one in eight Americans rely on emergency food assistance. Among the thousands of people who depend on charitable food programs in central and northern New York:
- 29% are children 18 or younger
- 10% are without health insurance
- 68% have been unemployed for more than two years
- 32% have a working family member
- 91% are below the federal poverty line
- 41% earn less than $12,000 annually