Why We Are Here
A community where everyone has access to nutritious food and no one is hungry.
Leading the effort to eliminate hunger in our region, by partnership with others in our community, through education, advocacy, and distribution of nutritious food.
Hunger is a very serious problem in the United States today. Despite its great wealth, an estimated one in eight Americans rely on emergency food assistance. Among the thousands of people who depend on charitable food programs in central and northern New York:
- 29% are children 18 or younger
- 10% are without health insurance
- 68% have been unemployed for more than two years
- 32% have a working family member
- 91% are below the federal poverty line
- 41% earn less than $12,000 annually